24 Mar Our Six Top Tips for an Easier Move
Posted at 11:15h
- Utilise porta-robes. These oversized boxes have been designed with a rail inside that allows you to simply take your clothes out of your wardrobe on their hangers, place them hanging in the box and when you get to your new home, simply pop them back in the wardrobe. Not only do porta-robes save you a ton of time, they protect your clothes whilst also saving you from having to re iron them!
- Use coloured labels or paper to label your boxes for each room. For example, blue for kitchen, red for master bedroom etc. If you have lots of boxes a coloured coded system helps you to easily distinguish where items are.
- Create a “first night box”, after a long day (or days) moving the last thing you want to do is rummage around in boxes looking for items to make your first night in your home enjoyable. Include items such as the TV remote, toilet paper, a cup, plate and cutlery for each family member, change of clothes, PJ’s, toiletries and anything else for your first night. Also clearly your linen box so you can make the beds for everyone to get a good night’s rest.
- Here at Gather Store Move we love to disassemble and then re-assemble your furniture. If however this is a job you wish to do yourself, remember to place all the screws and bolts into a zip lock bag and pop this bag into your “first night box”
- Hold off watering your plants for a few days before the move and make sure any pot saucers are empty before your move day. You don’t want plant water dripping in the truck and possibly ruining your belongings
- Don’t over pack your cardboard boxes, cardboard boxes can only hold so much. A better option is to use our special PPE cartons that not only hold more than a regular book box, but they are also better for the environment as they can be used over and over again and don’t fall apart like cardboard ones. We are proud to offer our customers 10 free boxes for all moves over $500 and also have the option to rent our boxes for the duration of your move from as little as $1/week per box. Our boxes are also great storage options for the garage or study and can be purchased for $30. Find out more here or ask us for more info.